THE PHENOMENAL ACTRESS OF BOLLYWOOD, ‘REKHA’
Bhanurekha Ganesan, that is what her parents named her when she came into this world on October 10, 1954, REKHA was the name she gave to herself when she came into the movie industry.
She started as a child artist in 1966 in the Telugu film Rangula Ratnam, The legend didn’t have any personal aspiration in the field of motion pictures, it was the lack of financial stability that compelled her to do so.
In 2011, Rediff listed her as the ninth-greatest Indian actress of all time, Her work in
From Ugly Duckling’ of Hindi films to critic Omar Qureshi stating that “the term Diva (in India) was coined for Rekha.
Let’s look at some of the unseeable facts behind the journey of this PHENOMENAL WOMAN.
- Rekha attended Sacred Heart Convent for Girls in Yercaud, Tamil Nadu. At the age of 13, she quit school to start a career in acting to support her family.
- She started as a child actress in the Telugu film Rangula Ratnam, her film debut as a lead happened four years later with Sawan Bhadon.
- Rekha has acted in more than 180 films in her career spanning over 50 years.
- Her portrayal of a classical courtesan in Umrao Jaan (1981) won her the National Film Award for Best Actress.
- In the film
Sooryavanshamwhile both father and son were played by Amitabh Bachchan, both his character’s respective wives were voiced by Rekha.
- In 1983, her diet and yoga practice were published in a book called “Rekha’s Mind and Body Temple”.
- In 1990, Rekha married Delhi-based industrialist Mukesh Aggarwal.
- She was conferred with the honor of Padma Shri in the year 2010.
- Rekha was referred to as the reigning Queen of Indian Cinema at the 2012 IIFA Awards held in Singapore.
- Rekha once stated that the way she was perceived at that time motivated her to change her appearance and improve her choice of roles.