India’s First women to crown Miss World, ‘Rita Faria Powell’
Rita Faria Powell , First Indian women to win the title of Miss World in year 1966.
Rita was born in bombay on 24th August 1943. Her Parents were from Goa.
She was also the first model to become a doctor.
Lets us know some facts about this veteran Beauty…
- she won the sub-titles ‘Best in Swimsuit’ and ‘Best in Evening Wear’ for wearing a saree in Miss World 1966 event.
- Rita is also the winner of Miss Bombay(1966) and of Eve’s Weekly Miss India (1966)
- After her win in Miss World show, Rita got many offers for Modelling and movies.
- Rita pursued MBBS and became a Doctor.
- She is the alumni of Grant Medical College, Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals and King’s College Hospital, London.
- Rita was invited as a judge in many of the beauty contests.
- She Married Dr. David Powell in the Year 1971.
- She moved to Dublin with her husband in 1973 and is currently living there.
- They have two children, Deirdre, and Ann Marie.
- She is currently 75 years old 🙂